Sunday, May 28, 2017

Spawned In the USA: Far Cry 5 Stokes Politicized Craze

I did not see this coming though I must stress that I really don't care about Far Cry at all aside from playing the first game on the Xbox console of which I enjoyed a lot but lost interest over time nor am I interesting in the upcoming game I will mention now. Anyway it's shown that Far Cry 5 is not only coming out but will be set in my home country, the United States and that the villains will be some fringe, Christian doomsday cult that took over some county in Montana and they are all white. Granted I really don't care if I'm fighting the Nazis, the Soviets, not-Al Qaeda, or Morden's Rebels as long as I know that the bad guys are evil in both historical and/or fictional context, i.e. deserving to be whooped, but I have to stress that description of the villains of FC5 for a reason.

A good number of articles and people on twitter (sometimes I wonder why twitter was ever invented in the first place) are trying to make it out to be some "commentary" on the Trump administration and of the US political scene today. And you can tell I'm not enthusiastic about this agenda pushing nonsense since I feel they definitely aren't contributing to whatever the message the game might present to us and of discussion. I mean I don't see how trying to shove current day politics in pop culture (in a blatant fashion rather) would do any wonders though granted there were numerous attempts in the past since print was invented I guess but I feel like the recent trend of trying to tie stuff about Trump and other political subjects in something like Far Cry 5 is really getting annoying real fast. Heck I called this out when people where trying to tie the Trump campaign to something like the Man in the High Castle TV show of which something like an Axis takeover of the USA isn't worth a lot of political debates and campaigns to deal with but I digress for the sake of my sanity.

And here again, something like an insane doomsday cult that speaks for God yet abuses its Christian ways (and no doubt bringing out the bad from the Bible...no joke the Bible had some bad stuff in it) should not worth getting politicized over as there is nothing political about obviously evil cults taking over innocent towns and whatnot, it's a moral issue and something has be done to defeat them. Thankfully this article points out the stupidity of making FC5 something about Trump and the USA and kudos to him; the more people pointing out the agenda pushing nonsense the better.

And as for me, I'm not getting FC5, not because of the setting and the controversy, but because there's more games worth my time IMO, like the Misadventures of Tron Bonne and Gotcha Force, as they are more expensive to own than they should be but that's another post for another time.

Update: Things are really getting of out hand now that there's a "petition" floating around that basically demands Ubisoft to change the game as to not be "anti-white" yet it has been pointed out by plenty of people that the petition is a fake and that many gaming "journalists" fell for it. I mean the whole line about "harassment of gamers by mainstream journalists during Gamergate" should be obvious that something isn't right about the petition given that while the major of the pro-Gamergate community has not done any harassment, there is a small minority of them that did do the harassment business. Yet, they are rightly condemned by the majority since they like many other asshat trolls, they don't add anything meaningful; the most the mainstream journalists did is shame gaming culture and declare them "dead" of which I will contend help escalate the controversy more than it needed to be but that's another story for another time. But I will link more about how this petition is a fake to this article that explains more in detail than I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment