Monday, May 23, 2016

Who're you gonna call? Crapbuster! AVGN vs. the Media

About a week ago, James Rolfe, the guy who played the Angry Video Game Nerd on a web series of the same name, made a video saying that he will not be seeing the new Ghostbusters...movie and just that.

Sounds alright to me, I mean I don't blame him, the movie looks retarded and with trying to bank on having an all female lead cast to justify its existence. Not that I hold the original one as something like a sacred cow, far from it; in fact I find it quite silly and ridiculous and probably not to be taken seriously (not in a good way). Though I oddly find it more fitting to watch on Halloween than a bunch of horror films (barring silly s--t like Leprechaun and It) given that it deals with the dead indirectly through the featuring of spirits from deceased people but I digress. Anyway, the reason I find the Ghostbusters franchise to be too stupid for my tastes is that I just find the whole ghost "bustin'" business to be stupid altogether given that the lead guys look like they have better things to do than do that s--t (that or maybe I'm just not into supernatural stuff, usually). Granted I haven't seen the original film nor its sequel but that'll be something I might keep in mind but I'm not really worried about that.

No, the thing that concerns me or rather annoys me is how the media (and other people) responded to him. I mean there's countless articles and tweets making him look like he's an evil sexist pig, an MRA, or whatever. Hell the Cinema Snob guy went out of his way to attack him or rather strawman his ass; seeing a member of Channel Awesome go after the AVGN makes me wonder if the Nostalgia Critic will get involved. I hope not or else the whole Nerd vs. Critic thing might become real and not in a good way but I rather not speculate here. Anyway, those articles are trash and do nothing to address the perhaps rightly low expectations of the new Ghostbusters. Apparently from what they say, I'm supposed to believe Rolfe this whole time is making me hate women in games because he plays into the stereotypical "gamer nerd" look in his AVGN videos? Odd, I thought I was supposed to hate the mostly bad games he plays and the only things I flat out disagree with him on is on Lester the Unlikely and definitely Rockman Legends 1.
 
The reason I say the big large scale reactions to his refusal to see the new Ghostbusters don't help at all is how stupid the existence of them are. I mean all of that garbage because he doesn't want to see something that might suck in his eyes (and maybe objectively to ours as well)? Talk about a serious overreaction, these articles that spew that crap remind me of why I tend to take such articles with a grain of salt given that they tend to be nonsensical (and making dumb statements like Trump is some sort of fascist but that's another story for another time). That and the whole reaction to people not wanting the new Ghostbusters movie as some sort of MRA, sexist backlash is idiotic beyond belief. I have never seen such a big defense for something that well shouldn't be in the first place given that there are countless pointless remakes out there (Red Dawn 2012 anyone?). But I will tell you one thing, I'm not seeing it because I know for a fact that it looks stupid, and that I don't care if the leads are women, I just don't. That and just don't twist my words to make me something I'm not; it's one thing to disagree with me and Rolfe and say that the film might be at least decent but it's another to strawman the hell of us, it's just intellectually dishonest and harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment